Friday, December 2, 2011

Handmade Holiday Blog Hop

Hello there!  Today I am joining many fabulous ladies who have created a little bit of holiday magic using our paper crafting suppliesto share with you. If you are following along with the blog hop you should have arrived here from Jennifer’s blog.  If you are just checking in on my blog or are a little bit lost and want to start from the beginning of the blog hop, visit Amanda’s blog to get back on track.

I made a small little 4x5 inch canvas board into a small bit of décor.  This is an idea that I originally picked up from the Crap I’ve Made blog.  Here is a quick run down of how I put this together.

Christmas Tree Canvas Supplies

You’ll need a canvas or other background of choice, scraps of papers, Mod Podge, acrylic paint and a piece of contact paper.
I cut all my pieces of paper into 1”x1” squares and used a layer of Mod Podge to adhere them to the canvas.  Once you have your canvas covered with the scraps rub over it with a brayer or something similar to make sure the papers are firmly adhered.  Let it dry for a few minutes while you cut your desired shape.  I have found that a piece of contact paper makes a fantastic little stencil and it cuts nicely when I use my Cricut.  I cut a tree from the Winter Frolic cartridge for this project.  Add the cut shape to the papers and smooth out any wrinkles and ensure you have the contact paper adhered completely.  Add a thin layer of acrylic paint and let it dry.  If you want to add another for better coverage go ahead.  I like to see the other papers peeking through a bit.  While the paint is just a little tacky carefully lift the contact paper off the papers and let the paint dry completely.
I added some Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type stickers at the bottom and outlined the tree with a Sharpie to help it stand out.  I then added a thin coat of Mod Podge to seal it.  While it was still wet I added some gems to finish it off.  Now since my edges were all uneven I added some fantastic tinsel ribbon with some hot glue to cover them up.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!  The next stop on the blog hop is Adele’s blog.

16 comments:

Adele said...

It's adorable, Shanon!

Becky said...

That is very neat!!!

PattyC said...

So cute!

Anonymous said...

That is too cute!!
Melissa

Moongirl said...

That is so stinkin' adorable! I like it a lot!

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

Very pretty! I love it and it's a great way to use some scraps! Thanks for sharing!

Sunny79 said...

Great idea!
love, Marina

Caroleb said...

That is a really cute idea.

Steffanie said...

Really cute!

Cassie said...

This is so cute Shanon! Great project!!

GLOANN said...

Love your canvas. It's so pretty.

Dottie said...

Nice decoration! I like that you did a mosaic piece and then cut out your tree.

Laurie said...

Shanon, that is positively adorable!

yokaye said...

So cute! Love this idea for using scraps!

bfran55 said...

Great idea!

blsd2scrp said...

awesome! thanks for the hop!