Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Upcycled Halloween Jar

Is it a bit too early to be thinking about Halloween?  I made this jar a few months ago and have been waiting to share it here. 

Halloween Jar 1

I used an empty 7 oz Yankee Candle jar and lid that I cleaned out and washed.  Does anyone else save these jars with good intentions to give them a second life?  I have about a dozen just sitting on top of the pantry that I have a hard time parting with.  I always think they will make a great container for a gift of some sorts but they still sit in there.  We will be moving next year and I need to use them or drop them in the recycling bin. 

I pulled out some super cute My Mind’s Eye patterned paper and tag for this and used a strong adhesive to attach the paper to the jar.  I traced the lid onto the black paper and then used a white Uni-Ball Signo pen to hand draw on the spider web.  A black pom pom, pipe cleaner and googley eyes quickly became the spider and I attached him with hot glue.  I also cut a thin strip of the black paper to go around the edge of the jar and that is also attached with strong adhesive. 
Halloween Jar 2

Top it off with some bakers twine and a tag and in 20 minutes you have a super cute container ready to fill with a bit of candy and give to a friend. 

I am linking up with Tip Junkie’s Tip Me Tuesday for the first time!  I love all the creativity that is shared each week and wanted to join in.

Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments:

Karima said...

That looks fab, I always keep hold of good glass jars. I use some for storing foods to make my kitchen cupboards more organized, and for craft pieces! Saw you on linky party and now google following you. Would love it if you popped by, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

Emily said...

That is so cute! I don't have any of those jars but I'm usually saving jars that I think will be usable too.
Emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Design DNA said...

Very cute! I'm hosting a Halloween link party now through the end of November. Stop by anytime!

http://stirizsisters.blogspot.com/2011/09/halloween-imagination-station.html

Corie @ Design DNA

Kim said...

I am a jar saver too! I never know what I am saving them for! Very cute idea!