Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scrapbook on the Road Class Review

We just returned from one week vacation through Belgium, Holland and Germany.  In preparation for our trip I decided to sign up for Ali Edwards' Scrapbook on the Road online workshop and I am so very happy that I did. 

I always struggle with scrapping our trips because we take so many (not trying to brag, so please don't take it that way).  Since we have been stationed in Germany and are only here for a few years we try to travel as much as possible on long weekends and when JG can take leave.  We know that we will not be able to travel so extensively in Europe once we head back to the USA.  Anyways, I read the class description and decided that this may very well be the best way for me to get our vacation photos into a scrapbook.  The idea is similar to Ali's December Daily album as you create the foundation pages before you begin your trip.

First I listened to the keynote video and I was so inspired to finally document our trips as we are traveling and not trying to remember the details and feelings months (or more likely years) later.  I loved Ali's ideas for saving the pieces of memorabilia that is collected along the way and immediately incorporating them into your book.  I have ziplock bags full of bits and pieces of our trips and it is just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to use it and I know I probably never will. 

Second, I began putting together my foundation pages using supplies I had on hand.  I love projects in which I don't have to purchase a single thing!  I was able to put my pages together quickly and loved the creative process.  Ali shares a few techniques and I was excited to give them a go.  I decided I wanted my album to be 6x8 inches and created my cover using pieces of chipboard I had on hand.  Then I cut my pages to fit.

The cover of my scrapbook
The third part comes while you are actually on vacation....you document your trip and add your bits of memorabilia to your album.  I was hopeful that I would remember actually take the time to document at the end of the day and I found out that I was actually excited to write down my experiences. 
The final step is to add your photos but I haven't had a chance to upload and order our prints yet.  I can't wait to select my favorite pictures and add them into my album. 

The class was $14 and I consider it to be money well spent!  I was on such a roll making foundation pages that I made too many and now have them to add to my next book.  I am looking forward to using this process for all of our future trips and am so relieved to finally get our vacation photos off the computer and into an album.

1 comment:

Derwinicus said...

Really? Too many pages? We, too, take tons of photos on every trip we take (and in every day life too!) and I'm nowhere near caught up. However, my albums are massive of our vacations. I can't imagine being able to get ready for all our pics ahead of time. I can't wait to see what you've done! :)