Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers Day Weekend

Wow! I had such a great weekend. I love being able to get away for 36 hours and seeing some beautiful places. These are the times when I really realize how fortunate we are to be living in Germany. We went to Hohenschwangau Castle, Neuschwanstein, and Linderhof Castles again. This time we toured through Hohenschwangau instead of Neuschwanstein and learned more about the ruling families that lived there and the history of the castle. I found it to be more informative than the Neuschwanstein tour. I also thought that the castles were more beautiful in the spring than there were in the winter. The colors really popped against the green more than the white snow.

Hohenschwangau Castle

Neuschwanstein Castle


We stayed the night in a small town just on the outskirts of Reutte, Austria. We had a beautiful view of the Alps from our balcony. Our dinner was delicious! I was totally surprised at the gourmet food at super affordable prices. The room was very spacious which is hard to come by in many European hotels and I just loved it view. I know I mentioned that just a couple of sentences ago but it was amazing!



On the way home we went to Lindhof Castle and it was totally different than in February as we were able to see the fountains, statues and trees as they were covered with burlap to protect them from the elements. This is one extravagent castle! Definitely worth the visit. After we left there we drove to Oberammagau for a wonderful Mothers Day lunch. We ate at the Ammergaur Maxbräu at the Hotel Maximilian. If you are ever happen to be in that area ;-) I highly recommend you eat there. I had a Mothers Day special menu and it was some of the tastiest food I have eaten here. James had a huge pork knuckle and he really enjoyed that as well. At the end of the meal they gave me a rose for "Mutters Tag" (Mothers Day in German) and it was a perfect end to a great meal and weekend.

Linderhof Castle

No comments: